Don’t get trapped with the wrong tech
Today, more and more Kiwi builders are tooling up with technology. And they’re experiencing dramatic results: improved efficiency, increased profitability and reduced paperwork.
Choosing the right technology for your business is just like selecting the right tool for a job: it makes the task faster, easier and more successful.
But pick the wrong technology, and you can create a whole new set of headaches. BuilderTrend is a good example: it works amazingly well for some, but others find it a complex system with features they’ll never need or use.
Take time to make the right tech choice
There are many job management apps that work well for builders and trades, including NextMinute, Tradify, Buildxact, CoConstruct, BuilderTrend, RaveBuild, BuildaPrice and Fergus.
Each has different strengths and weaknesses, so it’s crucial to pick one that will work best with your business.
Here are some tips to help you decide:
List business problems
What are the key issues you’re struggling with? For example:
- Managing manual or paper timesheets
- Quoting takes too much time and you miss including items in your quotes, over and over again
- Your quotes don’t look professional
- Managing multiple jobs at once is time consuming and challenging
- You struggle to track costs on a job or know if you’ve been charged the correct amount by your supplier
- Invoicing your customers only happens when you have time and charges may be missed
- Job profitability isn’t clear to see
List goals you want to achieve
What would you like to achieve immediately and in the next year? For example:
- Timesheets from your team can be entered electronically
- Reduce the time you spent on admin and paperwork
- Spending more time growing the business
- Improving budget communication with clients
- Capture variations to jobs more accurately
Research and short-list a few apps
If you use Xero, a good starting point is the Xero Marketplace at https://www.xero.com/nz/marketplace/business-type/construction-trades/.
You could also check out www.therighttool.co.nz. The Right Tool is a free marketplace of business apps, tailored to help Kiwi businesses like yours find the right tool for your business. You can also find people who can help you get the app up and running in the Directory.
Read the App websites and online reviews by other builders and trades
This is a great way to understand if an app might help to achieve your goals and the cost you’ll need to budget for.
Sign up for free trials
Trials usually last for 7 to 14 days, so only sign up when you have time to look at the app.
Get advice from an independent advisor
Talking to an expert in all the apps – like Free Up – will help you choose the right app, one which will benefit you most.
Lastly, it’s important to remember that no software will do 100% of what you need. However, by carefully choosing the right app and making sure your team are trained to use it – you can enjoy the many benefits which come from running a business more efficiently.